The 2010 Kilmichael Ambush Commemoration is particularly special, as it marks the 90th Anniversary of this historic event This years commemoration takes place, ironically, on the actual day & date on which the event took place, that is Sunday 28th November. Martin McGuinness, the deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland is the invited speaker for this years commemoration. The events of the day begin with Aifreann as gaeilge (Mass in Irish) at 10:30am in St Joseph’s Church Castletown. As has been the tradition for many years, the local choir provides appropriate song & music, this year to be augmented by young Newcestown Comhaltas musicians. After mass, graveside prayers & the laying of a wreath take place at the nearby grave where the three Irish men who died at Kilmichael; Michael McCarthy, Jim O’Sullivan & Pat Deasy, + local patriot Diarmuid O Mathúna are buried. Refreshments follow at O’Callaghan’s (Cookies) Bar in the nearby village. Then, its on the the ambush site, where, at 1:00pm, the pipe band, the Wexford Pike Men & no doubt a huge gathering of people from all over Ireland & much further afield, will march to, & assemble at the ambush site memorial. Martin McGuinness will then deliver his eagerly-awaited oration. Afterwards, the tradition-honoured custom of progressing to Inchigeela for dinner at Joe Creedon’s is an integral part of this event. Huge crowds are expected to attend this 90th Anniversary Commemoration, so if you are planning to attend, it would be advisable to come early to avoid the inevitable traffic congestion.
90th Commemoration of The Kilmichael Ambush – 28th Nov. 2010
- Dr Bernadette McCarthy: on ‘Historic postboxes of the Coppeen region in context’
- Diarmuid O’Mathuna GAA Club; an idea that became a reality. Wed. 6th Nov. – SEAMUS COAKLEY
- FILM EVENING at CAHCS. Wed. 2nd October.
- THE CORK REBEL WAY, Launch. Sunday 4th August, 5pm, at Kilmichael Ambush site
- Talk on history of stained glass windows in West Cork churches – by Finola Finlay – Wed 8th May, at 8pm in St Joseph’s Church, Castletown Kinneigh.