Planned by Tom Barry, Crossbarry ambush took place on 19th March 1921, & was one of the largest engagements during the War of Independence. Afterwards, Barry led his men to O’Sullivan’s farm in Gurranareigh, which is just east of Coppeen. Donal O’Flynn has studied this important event for many years, & he comes to An Caipín on Wed. 1st Dec to present his account of the Crossbarry ambush. Donal is also an accomplished photographer, & he uses an impressive PowerPoint presentation to illustrate his story. We look forward to welcoming Donal to An Caipín Meeting Room, Coppeen on Wed. 2nd March where he will begin at 8:30pm
‘Crossbarry Ambush’ – an illustrated talk by Donal O’Flynn, originally scheduled for Wed 1st Dec, but cancelled due to snow, now re-scheduled for Wed. 2nd March 2011
- THE BIG ‘FLU 2020 // 1918 – Colum Cronin / Michael Galvin
- Tim & Thomas Crowley: “Our History In Film” Thursday 5th March, 8:30pm, An Caipín.
- BOOK-LAUNCH: ‘The Cuckoo Sings In May’ SUNDAY 19th JAN, 3pm, AN CAIPÍN.
- Dr Bernadette McCarthy: on ‘Historic postboxes of the Coppeen region in context’
- Diarmuid O’Mathuna GAA Club; an idea that became a reality. Wed. 6th Nov. – SEAMUS COAKLEY