I came across a post by irisharchaeology.ie listing some exciting online tools for those interested in archaeology or indeed local sites in their area. The National Monuments Map Viewer plots out practically all sites nationwide and is extremely useful for getting precise locations of such sites through the OSI Mapping and Aerial Photography system. Below is a screenshot of our local area here in Coppeen – it shows Cahirvagliair and the fort just south of Coppeen. At the time of writing, the system seems to be a bit buggy but if you know the general area you would like to view, it still pretty much works. More information can be found at irisharchaeology.ie’s website.
An Excellent Resource for finding Archaeological Sites Nationwide
- Talk on history of stained glass windows in West Cork churches – by Finola Finlay – Wed 8th May, at 8pm in St Joseph’s Church, Castletown Kinneigh.
- “1918 – Victory, Virus & Votes” – by GERRY WHITE, Wed 3rd April, 8:30pm
- ‘The Whiddy Island Tanker Disaster’ Paddy O’Sullivan – 6th March
- “Lighthouses – on the South-West coast of Ireland” an illustrated talk by Gerald Butler. Wed 5th Dec, 8:30, An Caipín
- Annual Table Quiz, Friday 2nd Nov, 9pm.