On Sunday 3rd June a group of members of Kinsale History Society made the journey to the Coppeen area as guests of CAHCS. The ‘tour’ began at Kinneigh Round Tower & graveyards. CAHCS Chairman Colum Cronin led the group, assisted by Brendan Collins & Margaret Walsh. The newly developed ‘Remembrance Garden’ was the subject of much discussion. After a walk & talk around Kinneigh, the group made the short journey to Cahirvagliair Ringfort near Coppeen where Colum pointed out the unique stone entrance & fine expanse of the site. Then it was on to Knockareirk Lower Stone Circle, with kind permission of landowners Stephen & Martina French & family. This fine megalithic monument looked impressive in the evening light. The group adjourned to An Caipín where the ladies of CAHCS had a very welcome supper prepared for the hungry travellers. The Kinsale group have agreed to return the favour to CAHCS, & the Coppeen group plans to visit the Kinsale area on Sunday 8th June where they look forward to being shown some of the historic gems of that area. ANYBODY WHO IS INTERESTED IN JOINING CAHCS ON 8th JULY, PLEASE CONTACT US FOR DETAILS at 023 8847575 / 026 46078. /086 8531761
Kinsale History Society Visits Coppeen
- BOOK-LAUNCH: ‘The Cuckoo Sings In May’ SUNDAY 19th JAN, 3pm, AN CAIPÍN.
- Dr Bernadette McCarthy: on ‘Historic postboxes of the Coppeen region in context’
- Diarmuid O’Mathuna GAA Club; an idea that became a reality. Wed. 6th Nov. – SEAMUS COAKLEY
- FILM EVENING at CAHCS. Wed. 2nd October.
- THE CORK REBEL WAY, Launch. Sunday 4th August, 5pm, at Kilmichael Ambush site